The Amish Shed Blog
Choosing the Best Shed Size to Build for Your Yard
Just like how your kids outgrow their beds, we tend to outgrow our homes, too. When your garage and attic are bursting at the seams with bikes, lawn tools, fancy dishware, and your lawn mower you need a backyard shed. Finding the best size shed to build is the first step — let’s get started right now.
Finding the right shed size does matter. You don’t want to end up with a small shed that you’ll outgrow again, but you also don’t want to end up paying for a jumbo shed that you don’t really use.
Avoid the mistake other homeowners make! Read our shed size guide to discover the most common shed sizes — and to decide which one is the perfect fit for your backyard.
The 3 Most Common Shed Sizes
Answers don’t always come in black and white, but luckily, with our easy-to-follow shed size guide, finding the best size shed to build gets a whole lot easier. It’s important to remember that with a custom Amish shed builder like Glick Woodworks, you can really get any size storage shed you want. However, these are just a few of the most common shed sizes we build.
- Small (10”x12” or 8”x12”): Do you have a green thumb — or have a spouse that thinks they do? If you’ve noticed your garage becoming flooded with gardening tools or light yard work equipment, this is the size for you! A 10”x12” or 8”x12” shed is all you need for de-cluttering the push mower, flower pots, tools, and lawn supplies easily and effectively. Indulge in some of our favorite small shed styles right here.
- Medium (10”x16” or 8”x16”): It’s safe to say, this is the typical East Coast homeowner’s best size shed to build. Comfortably containing a riding mower, snow blower, or larger sized yard tools, this shed has got the capacity to hold all your 4-season must-haves. See the trending medium size shed styles, here.
- Large (12”x20” or 12”x24”): A shed so massive, you’ll sublet space to your neighbors! A 12”x24” is the most common shed size for large footprints. Nearly the size of a garage, this can hold practically anything and everything you need — including multiple sets of tools, riding mowers, pieces of equipment, ATV’s, yard games, bicycles, and more! View our favorite design for large size sheds, now!
Things to Consider Before Buying a Shed
Is one of those most common shed sizes right for you? Great, call us and start customizing. If you’re still deciding, here are a few basic points to consider. If you can answer these 5 questions, it will help determine the best shed size for you:
- How Will You Use It? How do you envision using your shed? A yoga studio she-shed space will obviously require a bit more room than one just used for storing some bicycles and shovels.
- What Are You Storing? If your shed is to be used for storage, what items are you storing? It is always wise to leave a little extra room around things like ATV’s and riding mowers to allow for easy access and removal.
- How Big is Your Yard? If you have a small yard, the best shed size to build may be determined by this one factor alone. Small sized lots clearly don’t have the capacity to hold a large shed! One of the best ways to accommodate big storage in a small yard is to choose a shed with two stories, or a loft.
- What’s Your Budget? One of the most important factors to homeowners when buying a new shed is price. If you’re looking to stick to a budget, a smaller shed size will accommodate that!
- What Does the Township Say? No matter where you live, we always suggest checking local building codes for any sizing restrictions. In fact, some municipalities will only allow a certain size shed to be built until a building permit is required.
Installing the Best Size Shed for You
There’s only one thing we love more than building sheds – and that’s helping homeowners get the RIGHT shed for them!
If you know the best size shed for you, or want more information about our shed size guide, feel free to give us a call or contact us. At no cost to you, our Amish shed experts will be happy to provide assistance and a free, no-obligation price estimate!